Monday, June 4, 2012

This was an eventful weekend.

On Saturday, I went to a wedding. But not just any wedding! That's right, one of my coteachers, Mr. Kim, tied the knot and throughout the occasion, I was helplessly confused throughout the entire process. To start with, I haven't been to a wedding in over a decade, so the entire process is an enigma to me. Secondly, I was brought to the event by the gym teacher. He is a nice guy (albeit a bit of a brat), but he doesn't speak a lick of English and so was unable to steer me in the proper direction. One of the wedding hall staff took me upstairs to have lunch instead. Thirdly, Korean wedding halls - at least, the one I went to - are big, flashy affairs where there's seemingly a score of couples getting hitched within a few hours of each other. So I didn't know where the hell to go once I ate. I wandered about and madly texted another coteacher - Mr. Shin - who did not respond until after I found the right ceremony just in the nick of time and he went off searching for me. I summoned him back.

The ceremony had swords and Mr. Kim looked very nervous and sang a very enthusiastic song. His bride, whose name I do not know, was very beautiful. I hope the endeavour works out beautifully for them!

After that, I got ferried to the dining area again, this time by by the administration of my school, and almost ate myself sick. Sashimi, guys. It's a hell of a drug. Mr. Shin was kind enough to keep me company during this time and also to drive me back to Andong, along with a bunch of students. There may have been a bit of singing along to 'Mr. Simple'. Don't you judge us.

Once home, I changed my clothes did some other little things, and headed off for the train to Seoul. I ended up sitting next to an ajosshi who was all tuckered out from hiking and had the unfortunate affliction of snoring, so I hightailed it to the dining room and drank and read. Life is hard. Once in Seoul, I went to Itaewon, during which I had an awesome conversation with a dude (a US air force dude) who did not make moves on me in an egregious fashion! In Itaewon! And I was drinking really good beer at the time! Wow. After that, I went to sleep in a jjimjilbang. (Weirdly enough, I felt more subconscious than ever before about being naked in a jjimjilbang and I haven't a clue why.)

Next morning? Tattoo. Until the very evening. I only barely made the last bus, and only as a standby. If you want ridiculously detailed black and white work, go with Slam of Tattoo Korea and he shan't disappoint.

I was in pain and agitation on the bus ride back to Andong. But it was worth it.

Next week will probably be less action-packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment