Monday, July 2, 2012

This is the great conflict of my life, which unfortunately has no villains!

I like puppies. I like dogs. I enjoy their complete honesty of emotion, their eagerness, their complete lack of pretension, their dear paws. I never met a dog I didn't like - even Thumper, who was kind of mean, but he had health problems, poor thing. I really, really want a dog.

Unfortunately, my landlady is afraid of dogs. So is my landlady's daughter. I don't know why they're afraid of dogs - perhaps it's a lack of experience with those fine furred things or they've had a bad run-in. It's not my business and it's not their fault. As such, they're allowed to forbid canines in my apartment as they see fit.

I really, really want a dog, though!

Whenever I'm upset, sad, or feeling crushed under a great weight of ennui, I ask my mother to send videos and photos of the dogs. Some - but not all - of my happiest memories of visiting home involve playing and cuddling with said dogs, as well little Tula, that happy pee machine. Whenever I see a dog strolling along the sidewalk, I feel an overwhelming urge to coo over and pet them. Dogs, to me, represent happiness, not fear.

Having a dog would increase my happiness quotient. But it would also stab a dagger of fear into my landlady and her daughter, which would be terrible, because they are very kind, virtuous people. I am staying in Korea for at least another year and a half, though - that long a span of time without a canine companion!

Maybe getting a boyfriend would be a good substitute, but he probably wouldn't play fetch nearly as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment